How to perform Ghusl?
- Make the intention to perform Ghusl and say Bismillah. (This similar to Wudu is also done silently.)
- Wash your hands (x3)
- Wash the private parts with your left hand.
- Perform Wudu as the wudu done for Salah
- Pour water over the whole body
- Start with your right side.
- Then your left.
- Make sure to pay attention to places where water doesnt typically easily reach:
- Belly button
- Between the toes
What is Ghusl?
Ghusl is a full body wash and is done to cleanse the entire body.
Things which require one to perform Ghusl:
- An orgasm with accompanying fluid discharge.
- Whether sleeping or awake
- For both males and females
- If fluid flows due to sickness or medication without the accompaniment of arrousal.
- If one experiences a wet dream with no trace of emission, then they are not obliged to do Ghusl.
- Contact/entrance of the male and female private parts.
- Even if no fluid is discharged
- After menses or post-partum bleeding is done.
- Death, if a Muslim dies he/she must be given Ghusl
- A disbeliever upon accepting Islam
- Before attending Jumu’ah (Friday) Prayers.
- Most scholars agree this is a Sunnah practice and conditional to the current state of hygene the person is in.
The following are forbidden for one not in the state of Purity. (Or Junub)
- Tawaf (Circumbultating the kaaba)
- Touching or carrying the Quran
- Staying in the mosque.
- This does not apply to the one simply passing through the mosque.
Ghusls which are mustahab (Desirable) and good to perform.
- Ghusl before Jumuah Salah
- Ghusl for the 2 Eids
- Ghusl for the one that has bathed a dead person
- When entering the state of Ihram
- Upon entering Makkah
If none of the activities mentioned have been done, than you may perform Wudu before your prayer.
O believers! When you rise up for prayer, wash your faces and your hands up to the elbows, wipe your heads, and wash your feet to the ankles. And if you are in a state of ˹full˺ impurity, then take a full bath. But if you are ill, on a journey, or have relieved yourselves, or have been intimate with your wives and cannot find water, then purify yourselves with clean earth by wiping your faces and hands. It is not Allah’s Will to burden you, but to purify you and complete His favour upon you, so perhaps you will be grateful.
They ask you ˹O Prophet˺ about menstruation. Say, “Beware of its harm! So keep away, and do not have intercourse with your wives during their monthly cycles until they are purified. When they purify themselves, then you may approach them in the manner specified by Allah. Surely Allah loves those who always turn to Him in repentance and those who purify themselves.”